How to make a WorkCover claim in Queensland
WorkCover is a government-owned insurance company that provides coverage for work-related injuries, including medical and rehabilitation expenses and lost wages.
All Queensland employers must hold a WorkCover policy unless they are self-insured. This means that all Queensland workers are covered by a workers’ compensation policy, which is usually through WorkCover. The workers’ compensation policy covers employees who sustain a physical or psychological injury at work, while travelling to/from/between work, and while performing work-related duties outside of their usual work site.
If you are injured in a workplace accident in Queensland, here are the steps you should follow to make a claim.
Step #1: Medical treatment
- Get immediate medical attention
- Inform your supervisor of the injury (if physically able to do so)
- Fill out an incident report, if requested
- Remember that all medical costs will be covered in the WorkCover claim process
Step #2: Lodge Your WorkCover claim
- Obtain a Work Capacity Certificate from your doctor
- Submit a Claim Form to WorkCover (online, over the phone or on paper)
- If your employer is self-insured, contact their self-insurance department for details
- Your employer must assist you in preparing the claim form, but you have the option to deal with WorkCover directly
- The claim must be lodged within six months of the date of injury, or you may lose your rights altogether.
Step #3: WorkCover decision
- WorkCover has 20 business days to decide whether to accept your claim
- WorkCover will contact you and your employer to ask questions about the injury and your employment
- Be truthful in your responses, as everything you say will be recorded
Step #4: After WorkCover accepts your claim
- WorkCover will begin paying your weekly wages, also known as weekly compensation payments
- WorkCover will cover medical and rehabilitation expenses, including GP consultations, surgery costs, and physical therapy sessions
- If your claim is denied, you have the option to seek a review of the decision within three months by lodging an Application for Review with the Workers’ Compensation Regulator
- It is recommended to seek legal assistance when making a WorkCover claim to ensure you receive the maximum benefits you are entitled to from WorkCover