If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident and have had to pay for medical care or take time off work to heal, you’re probably entitled to compensation. Whether it be minor injuries, serious injuries, medical treatment, or other damages that have occurred from a motor vehicle accident.

If you have filed a CTP (Compulsory Third Party) claim, you might be wondering what the average payout amounts are.

Making your motor vehicle compensation claim successful

You must make your motor vehicle accident claim is submitted on time (within the time frame limits), which vary in each state. In Queensland you have one (1) month from when you first consulted a lawyer about the possibility of making a claim or nine (9) months from the date of accident, whichever is the earliest, to lodge a Notice of Accident Claim form on the insurer for the vehicle at fault. If the Notice of Accident Claim form is not lodged within this time, you must provide a reasonable excuse for the delay.

If the accident was cause by an unidentified or uninsured vehicle the Notice of Accident Claim form must be lodge on the Nominal Defendant. If the Notice of Accident Claim form is not lodged within nine (9) months of the date of the accident, your claim for compensation will be statute barred and will not be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

If you are unable to resolve your claim with the relevant insurer, you must commence proceedings in Court within three (3) years of the date of the accident.

You must provide all the required documents and forms needed to make the claim. Provide all the evidence you need to prove the expenses you might claim, including copies of receipts. This can even include treatment for minor injuries and medicine. A car accident can involve a lot of documentation and you want to make sure it is all on your claim to receive compensation.

Make sure that all the injuries from the car accident are assessed thoroughly. Make sure that you see how extreme the injury is and if it will cause you future mishaps and long term pain and suffering.

By doing these steps, you can ensure that your claim is processed correctly and efficiently.

How is your motor vehicle compensation payout determined?

Compensation amounts for injuries are calculated differently in each state. In Queensland, you are able to make various claims, including:

  • Pain and suffering (this is also called general damages);
  • Past and future loss of wages as a result of your injuries;
  • Reimbursement for any out-of-pocket expenses;
  • All future medical and rehabilitation treatment;
  • Past and future superannuation; and
  • Depending on how severe your injury is from the motor vehicle accident, you may be able to claim for past and future care and assistance.

Although you can file your own motor vehicle accident claim you might want to seek legal advice. By having the assistance of a specialised personal injury lawyer with a proven track record you will know your rights and potential to claim compensation to reach the best possible outcome.

This article is a part of our Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Guide which is designed to help you navigate the process of making a motor vehicle claim where you may require a motor vehicle or car accident lawyer.

Need help getting your life back on track?
You’ve come to the right place. 

We can help you make a claim for an event, incident or accident – that happened anywhere in Queensland. We have offices on the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Cairns. We are personal injury law experts that are ready to help you with understanding your CTP insurance and the CTP claims process.

If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. We are experts in personal injury law and we will meet with you and establish whether you can make a claim. We’ll also explain your rights, any time limits and the process. There’s no cost involved in these initial conversations, we’re here to help. Get in touch to find out how we can assist here.